Stories about families, about real people, or at least people that felt real to me reading about them. I loved:
- the books about Beezus and Henry and Ramona by Beverly Cleary (those that had been written when I was young. I caught up with more Ramona books when my kids were young)
- the Little House on the Prairie series of books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- all the books about the Moffatt family by Eleanor Estes
- the Swallows & Amazons books by Arthur Ransome
- and many many many others.
I also liked doing grade four novel studies of Junket, The Family Under the Bridge, The Cave, and Mr. Popper’s Penguins.
One of my all time favourite children’s books, which I didn’t actually own till fairly recently, was/is Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey.
And I remember that the first book I took out of the Alderwood Public Library with my very first library card was Saturday Walk.